Take time off your busy schedule! Your days are brimming with work, meetings, classes and chores. Take time and choose to work on yourself instead’
We hear this all the time and we all also know that this is easier said than done. With busy lives and hectic schedules, it’s normalized that mental health cannot always be prioritized. We all have different goals in life and work hard to achieve them. It becomes really difficult to feel healthy and rested during such testing times that throw up many fears, challenges and limitations. Yet, it is now more than ever, that we must not forget to take care of the most important part of our body - the mind. The mind requires your attention to stay healthy. Do remember that this is a conscious effort that needs to be cultivated into a self care habit that promotes best mental health practices that you need in the long run.
So how do you start off? How do you start making time for yourself?
- Create some breathing space between your hectic schedule. Figure out what’s important and what’s not. Find out what needs your attention on priority and what doesn’t. Based on this, simplify your timetable. Keep in mind that not everything or everyone deserves your time and attention. It’s completely normal to say no when needed.
- Maintain gratitude journals. Start journaling on a regular basis. Acknowledge what you are thankful and grateful for in your life. Take time to appreciate things around. Studies suggest that journaling can help you reap physical and mental health benefits. So pen down your thoughts, ideas, gratitude and discover a new you.
- Once in a while, unplug those earphones and take a technology break from all electronic devices. Spend time with your friends, family or even better - take your pet out for a walk. Occasional breaks like these tend to improve your state of mental well being and also make you more happier. Digital detox time is proven to help alleviate a host of stress and associated issues.
- Meditation. If you are someone who enjoys spending time alone, then you should definitely try meditation. This simple act of sitting and concentrating on your breathing will help you eliminate negativity from your mind and allow you to turn off your mind if need be. For many of us, concentration and focus are lost skills and meditation can help us find our way to the calmness inside despite the chaos.
- Do an activity mindfully and slowly which you otherwise would do mechanically. Watch your actions and be as attentive as you can! This could be anything from eating a meal to reading or journaling or spending time in your garden or listening to music.
- Declutter. Be it your cupboard, kitchen, phone or even your laptop. Take some time, organize them and get rid of the junk. Decluttering is energizing and often helps reduce anxiety.
- If you have been having some tasks that are long due, prioritise them and finish them off. It could be as small as rearranging your room or catching up with your friend. The amount of satisfaction received would stand unmatched and it can release positive emotions that can soothe your mind.
- Pamper yourself once in a while! Yes pampering yourself with all things favourite can actually relieve you from stress and help you enjoy time spent with yourself. Book a spa appointment or get yourself a super cool haircut. Or if you are in the mood for chocolates and cakes, dig in! Keep in mind, pleasure can indeed be guilt-free when done in mindful manner rather than as mindless indulgence.
- Make sure that you make time for the above mentioned activities. Creating ‘me time’ might seem difficult but it’s definitely not impossible. No matter how busy you get, set aside some time everyday when the only thing that matters is you.
With that being said, ensure that you spend enough time with yourself as much as you do with your gadgets. The more time you spend reflecting on your thoughts, the better your mind will feel. Hence don’t push yourself too much and take that break which your mind and body actually deserve! Learn about health insurance offered by Chola MS today and get a quote.