If your pregnancy test has come back positive, you are about to embark on a life-altering journey! As your baby grows in your womb, you will need to cope with numerous changes, both physically and emotionally. This is also a time when everyone takes it upon themselves to advise you about what to do, what to avoid and what to eat. You may even get to hear contradictory recommendations, as your family members, friends, co-workers, and even complete strangers never missing an opportunity to tell you the dos and don’ts of pregnancy! While they are all well meaning, it’s best to consult your doctor before you religiously follow any advice. Here, too, you will find some tips that you can use.
To begin with, check your health insurance policy. Not all medical insurance policies cover pregnancy and related expenses. Moreover, there is always a predetermined period from the time the policy begins before which you cannot claim health insurance benefits for pregnancy.
Keep Healthy During Pregnancy
- As you are eating for two, you may feel hungry more often. Whenever you eat, ensure that it’s a well-balanced meal. Your meals should include fruits rich in vitamin C and vegetables with high folic acid content. Include some fibrous foods like whole grain breads, cereals, beans and peas. Eat fruit rather than drinking juices.
- Drink around 10 glasses of water every day. This will not only hydrate your body and blood cells, it will also help digestion.
- Avoid drinking too much coffee or aerated beverages. Preferably stay away from alcohol. Drinking alcohol could even impact your health insurance benefits.
- Do not smoke and try being as far away from smokers as possible. This is because passive smoking could severely hamper your unborn baby’s development.
- Follow a regular exercise routine. However, do not begin exercising without consulting your doctor. A walk, at a moderate pace, in a cool area could do a great deal of good. If it’s really hot, you needn’t step outdoors for a walk. You can walk in the corridor of your building.
- Get adequate sleep. Plan for at least 8 hours of sleep a day. If you feel like having a snooze in the afternoon, don’t feel guilty and go right ahead.
- Wearing comfortable clothes and shoes is of utmost importance. Avoid wearing anything that is tight. You may experience swelling of the feet and legs. This, too, can be alleviated by wearing loose clothes and shoes.
Keep a bag ready for when you need to be hospitalized for the delivery. Make sure that your health insurance papers are packed as well. This will avoid last-minute stress.
Cholamandalam MS, a General Insurance Company in India, offers a wide range of insurance policies for individuals as well as corporates. For individuals, there are products like Car Insurance, Two Wheeler Insurance, Travel Insurance, Health Insurance, Personal Accident Insurance, Home Insurance and Crop Insurance. For SMEs and Corporate Insurance clients, Chola MS offers customized insurance solutions encompassing insurance and risk consulting services such as Engineering Projects, Engineering Operations, Liability Insurance, Marine Insurance, Fire Insurance and Miscellaneous Insurance.