Why does an average person who sleeps for 8 hours straight need to break the overnight fasting period in the morning? This answer may seem to be simple - it replenishes the stores of energy and nutrients in your body. But that’s not quite it. A healthy and fulfilling breakfast does much more than that for your body. Breakfast helps you improve your energy levels, memory and concentration powers. Beyond all this, it helps in keeping your weight under control and also reduces the risk of heart disease in the long run. There are n number of reasons to not skip your breakfast! But despite having an infinite number of health benefits, the first and most important meal of the day often takes a backseat in this busy day and age due to a variety of reasons. Here’s a list of reasons why you should prioritize the first meal of your day -
- (1)It boosts your energy level like none other - your body restores its glucose levels only after you break the fast early morning. Glucose is an essential carbohydrate that aids brain functioning throughout the day. Skipping breakfast can affect the cognitive functioning very drastically in the long run. Hence make sure you eat breakfast everyday and on time to boost your metabolism.
- (2)Having a hearty breakfast daily can help you meet your everyday recommended intake of essential vitamins, minerals and nutrients faster and more effectively than people who tend to skip breakfast. Hence make sure your breakfast contains whole grains, lean protein, low fat dairy and lots of fruits and vegetables.
- (3)Can help keep a tab on your weight - a wholesome breakfast not only jump starts your day but also helps reduce the risk of obesity.
- (4)You will see yourself making better food choices. As you start taking breakfast seriously, you will see a visible difference in your choice of food. You will be less likely to remain hungry throughout the day and turn to unhealthy snacks to satisfy your cravings.
- (5)Improve your brain power - If you are someone who feels sluggish throughout the day and finds it difficult to concentrate, then you might want to reconsider your decision of skipping breakfast. A healthy breakfast will improve your brain power tremendously and make you more fit and active throughout the day.
- (6)It puts you at a reduced risk of diabetes - when you skip breakfast, you end up being in a constant loop of feeling hungry later and turning to less nutritious food to munch on! As the day progresses, decision fatigue sets in and you may end up making less than best choices! This will in turn lead play with the insulin levels of your body. Hence, make a healthy choice and eat a hearty breakfast to keep your blood sugar levels stable.
With all this being said, you might be wondering what best suits your lifestyle when it comes to healthy breakfast choices. Here is a list of items to include in your diet which can be repurposed into any dish of your choice! First and foremost is undeniably, the egg. Eggs are the richest source of protein. They are very filling and also contain less calories. Also add coffee to your list of morning beverages as they help improve your mood and boost metabolism. Along with this, you can also add nuts and seeds of your choice. They are tasty, crunchy and nutritious - everything required to complete your morning meal on a healthy note. You can also add fresh fruits of your choice to your breakfast.
Breakfast is regarded as the most important meal of the day for a reason and you know why! Hence make this a routine so that you can sit back and relax as you watch your body do wonders for you! Happy learning from all of us here at Cholamandalam health insurance