India has the highest prevalence of heart related diseases in the world, and the country “will have 62 million patients with heart disease by 2015, compared to 16 million in the US,” said Enas A Enas, Director, CADI (Coronary Artery Disease among Asian Indians) Research Foundation, California.
Given the high prevalence of heart diseases in India, it would be wise to know some first aids for heart attack. Remember that there would be very few minutes left after a heart attack, and some immediate steps can prevent death. Also, make sure that you and your family members are covered with a comprehensive health insurance plan , so that you do not have to worry about the finance in the event of an emergency.
The First Aid for Heart Attack
You should take the following steps to help a heart attack victim.
- Try to calm down the person, make him relax. Try to divert his/her mind
- Loose any tight clothing like tie, belts etc
- Call an ambulance, if the pain does not go away within 3 minutes.
- Perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), if the person gets unconscious and is seen not breathing normally. You should open the windows and doors before you start performing CPR. Here are the steps to be taken.
- Make the victim lie flat on the ground
- Place the heel of one of your hands exactly between the nipples and on the victim's breastbone.
- Place the palm of your second hand palm on the first hand
- Make sure your arms are straight and rigid
- Press down about 2 inches with both hands directly over the breastbone to perform a compression. This will help the heart beat. This should be done in fast rhythm that is around 130 beats per minute
- Make sure that the victim's airway is open
- You should continue CPR until medical help comes
- Never give the victim anything from mouth during this time (except the victim has any prescribed medicine).
These are some immediate steps to be taken after a heart attack. If it is you who experience the symptoms of a heart attack, call a friend or family member immediately and an ambulance as well. In no condition should you think about driving yourself to the hospital. While the cost of heart attack treatment could be quite high, your health insurance plan would take care of that. This is exactly why you should buy a comprehensive health insurance plan at the earliest possible.