The COVID-19 pandemic has reminded the whole world about the importance of prioritising one’s health and immunity. Given that COVID-19 has taken a toll on every age group, the learnings from those who have recovered or managed to avoid being infected have been continuously discussed. All viruses mutate and the novel coronavirus is no exception. Hence taking a few safety measures and eating healthy to improve immunity should be your top priority at the moment. As quoted by many healthcare professionals, one of the ways in which your body can fight the virus is by improving your own immune system. Change of habits might be only a small action to take, but its potential impact and benefits can be very high. Let us walk you through some of the simple, natural ways in which we can improve the levels of immunity in our bodies through real food:
- ● Improve your diet - the food which you eat every day impacts your immunity levels the most. Make sure you cut down on junk food and include healthier items in your daily diet. Plan ahead to make sure every day includes foods that are rich in Vitamin C, E, D, Beta Carotene, and other essential vitamins and minerals.
- ● Drink warm water- Consume warm water throughout the day as opposed to cold or room temperature.
- ● Include spices- Spices like turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, and a significant amount of garlic into your everyday cooking. Turmeric powder contains a compound called curcumin, which has antioxidants and
- ● Citric fruits and vegetables - citric fruits, rich in Vitamin C are essential for growth and repair of tissue in our body. It helps in the production and functioning of white blood cells, which is an important component of your immune system.
- ● Include those greens in your diet - green leafy vegetables should be your next go-to choice. They are packed with fibre and extremely rich in vitamins and minerals. It purifies the blood and increases levels of hemoglobin, thus improves your immunity levels.
- ● Include herbal tea into your diet. A decoction made from tulsi, black pepper, cinnamon, and raisin is a good immunity booster. Since all these ingredients are easily available in our homes, it’s super quick to make and definitely good for your health.
- ● Dark chocolate - dark chocolate helps improve the immune system by protecting our body’s cells from free radicals, which can directly harm your body cells. It’s rich in an antioxidant called theobromine which aids this process effectively.
- ● Broccoli - they say “don’t forget your greens” for a reason. Broccoli is another source of Vitamin C. It contains sulforaphane, which makes it a good choice of veggie to be included in your everyday meal.
- ● Sweet Potatoes - it is full of antioxidants, vitamin A and carotenoids. These help your immune system battle against infections and diseases.
- ● Fish - fish provides our body with many essential healthy fats (omega 3 to be specific) and zinc. The consumption of these is extremely important as the human body cannot produce these on its own.
- ● Red Peppers - this is another source of Vitamin C which should be included in your diet
- ● Olive Oil - include olive oil into your diet it’s known to act as an anti-inflammatory agent in our body. Its high content of polyunsaturated fatty acids speeds up this process, thereby boosting the immune system
- ● Eggs - this wonder food is highly rich in protein and Vitamin D. Both these components help build your immune system and make your body strong
These are some of the ingredients that are easily available at home which you can include in your diet on a daily basis to improve your immune system. Although consuming these may not guarantee quick results, it helps strengthen your body slowly, making your immunity strong for the days to come! Also know about health insurance policy & plan provided in India for a better future.