Though quite popular for its ability to treat certain medical conditions, the Keto diet today is being adopted by many fitness and health enthusiasts worldwide to aid them in weight loss and maintenance. Its promise of quick and aggressive weight loss makes it the best bet for health-conscious weight-watchers.
But what exactly is a keto diet?
Keto is short for ketogenic. In simple words, a keto diet is a one that is:
Following this diet involves a drastic drop in intake of carbohydrates and replacing it with fat. This process leaves your body in a state known as ‘Ketosis’.
There are different types of ketogenic diet, such as:
- Standard ketogenic diet,
- Cyclical ketogenic diet,
- Targeted ketogenic diet, and
- High-protein ketogenic diet.
The difference among all these lies in the ratio of carbs, protein, and fat. The most recommended one is the standard ketogenic diet, which involves food intake or diet with 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carbs.
As the season of summer approaches, you might be wondering if following the keto diet is possible and how to stay on course. Here are a few tips for you which will help you get your summer body with Keto!
- Cardio and strength training during keto does wonders for your body fitness goals! Not only do they have physical benefits, they also help you deal with stress. This is extremely crucial because stress makes it difficult to make good eating choices, which is the key to maintaining a keto diet.
- Include coconut oil into your diet. Consuming coconut oil on a regular basis can help you get into ketosis. The fat present in coconut is rapidly absorbed unlike most fats, and it’s taken to the liver where it’s converted into ketones
- Increase your healthy fat intake. Consumption of healthy fat boosts your ketone levels in the body. As we know that fat makes up a large proportion of your ketogenic diet, it’s important to choose supreme quality sources. Some good fat that you should include in your diet is olive oil, avocado, butter, etc.
- Practice short fast or a fat fast. Going without eating for several hours can sometimes do the trick. Fat fasting involves consuming about 1000 calories per day, with 85% to 90% of it coming from fat. But because a fat fast is low in calories, it is advisable to not continue for more than three to five days. This is to avoid the loss of unrestrained muscle mass in your body. Doing either of these will help you achieve ketosis very quickly.
- Maintain an adequate level of protein intake. For achieving ketosis, your protein intake should neither be excessive nor be inadequate. When it’s inadequate, it could lead to muscle loss and when it’s in excess, it may suppress ketone production in the body.
- Test your levels of ketone and adjust your diet accordingly. Achieving and maintaining a state of ketosis is highly personalized. Hence, to ensure that you are on the right track, do check your levels of ketone on a regular basis.
- Include a lot of seafood in your diet. Many of the seafood items are either carb-free or low in carbs. Fish is a good source of vitamins, minerals, and Omega 3s. On a weekly basis, try to include at least two servings of seafood.
- Eat lots of cheese! Needless to say, cheese is extremely delicious. Out of all the different types of cheese available, the majority of them are high in fat and low in carb, which makes it an ideal choice for a ketogenic diet. Cheese contains calcium, protein, and beneficial fatty acids.
- Include lots of nuts and seeds into your diet. They are not only healthy but keto-friendly i.e, high in fat and low in carb. Additional benefits include a healthy aging process in the long run.
- Drink sugar-free tea and coffee. These two popular beverages are healthy and carb-free - another great fit for a ketogenic diet!
- There's a whole list of food items that you need to avoid. Make sure you gradually reduce their intake. Some of them include grains, sugar, rice, root vegetables, alcohol, and sugar-free diet food.
- Finally, plan ahead. Having a plan in hand will not only make things easier to follow but will also help in motivating yourself.
Having said all these, it’s time to put your plan into action! Create a schedule for summer, display it in the most visible /accessed spot in your home, and get ready to get in shape! Also you can contact Chola MS for health insurance policy if you are suffering from risky health issues.