All through our teenage years, we dream about owning a driving license and zipping through the streets in style. Once we get it, like most other things in life, we lose the initial excitement and it becomes just another item to carry in your wallet. Driving without a license is an offence in India and the time and energy it takes to procure one cannot be easily forgotten. Merely having a license alone is not enough, we need to continuously renew or update it soon as it expires.
How To Apply
There are two ways in which you can renew your driving license- online and offline. Applying for a driving license renewal online will save you a lot of your time. Here’s a step by step breakdown that guides you through the entire process:
● Go to the official website of the Parivahan board https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/.
● Select “Apply Online” on the left side of the menu.
● Click on “Driving license Related Services”.
● Select the State from where the service is to be taken.
● You will be redirected to a new page; here, click on apply online and then select ‘Services on Driving License’.
● You will receive instructions on how to fill in your application form. Read through them completely before proceeding. Click ‘Next’ when you’re done.
● Enter your birth date, existing license number, Pincode, and other personal details.
● Next, check “Required Services” which will display only those services which are applicable to your existing driving license, and select “Renewal” from the given options.
● You will then be required to fill in any other relevant details in the form.
● Upload your photo and signature. This feature is only available for certain states.
● Book a slot for your test in case of changes in your medical certificate.
● Once you follow all these steps, you will be redirected to an ‘Acknowledgement’ page where you can view your printable application ID. You will also receive an SMS on your registered mobile number with all the details.
● The amount payable for renewing the Driving License is INR 200. You can make the payment via net banking or debit/credit card.
Why renew your license?
The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 makes it mandatory to own a valid driving license for every motor vehicle driver. It is the official document provided by our government to certify you are skilled enough to drive on Indian roads and are well acquainted with traffic rules and regulations.
Section 177 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 states that driving without a driving license is a punishable offence that can attract a fine of Rs. 500 along with probable imprisonment of up to 3 months.
The validity of a permanent driving license is 20 years or until the age of 50, whichever comes first and an expired driving license is valid only for a month. If the expired license is not renewed within 5 years from the date of expiry, then you will have to get a fresh driving license right from scratch.