People have always hesitated to carry important documents due to the fear of not wanting to misplace or lose them. The Union Transport Ministry has asked the state governments to accept e-copies of vehicle documents in the DigiLocker and mParivahan App. Let us look at the benefits of these apps along with the process of registration.
DigiLocker is an initiative of the Ministry of Electronics & IT (MeitY) under the Digital India Corporation (DIC). This is a digital locker linked to one’s Aadhaar or UIDAI Number, which aids citizens to store and provide authentic digital documents. These digital documents can be considered as originals when asked to be provided. Since it is digitalized, everything is available within a few taps and one can find work getting done quicker and with much more efficiency using this.
● Citizens can access and share important documents anywhere
● Saves time
● It reduces the workload in government departments
● Minimizes paperwork and is environment friendly
● Government officials can easily validate the authenticity of the documents since are issued by the registered issuers
● Documents that are uploaded can be uploaded with eSign which will act as self-attestation
● One need not be worried about carrying their documents everywhere and the physical hard copies can be kept at home
How to Register
● The first step to sign-up for DigiLocker is to have an Aadhaar or UIDAI number.
● After entering the number, a One Time Password (OTP) will be sent to the mobile number linked to the Aadhaar Card
● One can then set a preferred password to login in the future
● One also has the choice of linking their Google or Facebook to their DigiLocker account but, it is not necessary
● DigiLocker is available as a Mobile Application available on Google Play Store and iOS App Store
Digilocker has partnered with the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) and is directly integrated with the National Register, a national database for driving license and vehicle registration across India. Now, one can save their Registration Certificate (RC) and Driving License (DL) on DigiLocker. mParivahan is another App where people can access their RC and DL online.
mParivahan is an App created by the National Informatics Centre (NIC). It aids in accessing details such as insurance papers, Registration Certificates, and Driving Licenses. These documents can be furnished before Traffic Police when they ask for them and these can be treated at par with original documents. This App is available on Google Play Store as well as iOS devices.
How to Register
● Download the App using Play Store or iOS App Store
● To Sign-Up enter your mobile number
● Enter the OTP and your name
While people have shortcuts for everything today, one thing that must not be compromised is one’s safety. Whether one has these apps or not, one must have insurance for their vehicle. Purchase a good insurance policy with decent coverage and always make sure it is renewed. To know more about insurance for your vehicle, click here!