The poet Robert Frost authored the poem The Road not Taken, he says that the path less travelled is usually the one mingled with risks. Talking about roads, India has the second largest road network in the world, totalling to approximately 4,689,842 kilometres, and a few offer a rather gripping drive, for which all sorts of car insurance is required, irrespective of whether they are less trodden or not.
Roads that Border Line on Danger
Here is a list of the 5 most dangerous and toughest “motor-able” routes in the country. Most of them are located on the northern region and have been maintained by the Indian Army. Today, these have becomes spot attractions for many adventurists. If you are one amongst them, it is highly advisable that you look at a few cover plans before you embark on a trip. You can even pick life and car insurance online.
- Rohtang Pass - It is a high mountain pass situated on the eastern Pir Panjal Himalayan Range, roughly about 51 kilometres from Manali. Winters are highly unpredictable and the area experiences avalanches. Every season, a crew is required to excavate the road from the winter rubble. The pass is usually open from May to November every year.
- Zoji Pass - It is located on the Indian National Highway between Leh and Srinagar in the western section of the Himalayas. It acts as the link between Kashmir and Ladakh approximately at 3,528 meters above sea level.
- Ladakh Highway - You definitely need car insurance policy for this drive. Connecting Leh to Manali, it remains open for only four and a half months in a year between June to mid-October. In height, it rises more than 4,000 meters in elevation and is surrounded by ranges on either side, some sporting incredible natural rock formations.
- Gata Loops - It involves a chain of hairpin bends that is very tricky to ascend, ultimately taking you to the top of Nakee La, which is the third high-altitude pass in the country. Towering at a height of almost 16,000 feet above sea level, the scenery around is second to none.
- Pangong Tso - Although it is a famous spot for movies having featured in 3 Idiots and Jab Tak Hai Jaan, it is a very difficult route to cross. Stretching between India and Tibet at a height of 4,350 meters, the 134 km stretch also offers a picturesque landscape besides the thrilling drive.
Chang La and Khardung La tops the list of the most dangerous highways. Apart from car insurance, a truck load of luck is also required to cross these routes and the army often does not allow civilians to pass.
Cholamandalam MS, a General Insurance Company in India, offers a wide range of insurance policies for individuals as well as corporates. For individuals, there are products like Car Insurance, Two Wheeler Insurance, Travel Insurance, Health Insurance, Personal Accident Insurance, Home Insurance and Crop Insurance. For SMEs and Corporate Insurance clients, Chola MS offers customized insurance solutions encompassing insurance and risk consulting services such as Engineering Projects, Engineering Operations,Liability Insurance, Marine Insurance,Fire Insurance and Miscellaneous Insurance.