1800-200-5544 (Accessible from India only)
9144-3098 5300 (For Abroad Customers)
personal accident insurance
First Aid Tips to Road Accidents
First Aid Tips to Cope with Road Accidents
Road accidents caused 16 deaths and 58 injures every hour in India in 2012, according to a report by Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways. The share of fatal accidents has also increased from 18 percent in 2003 to 25 percent in 2012, said the report. While accidents are unpredictable and unavoidable,you cantake some precautions well in advance. Be sure to get accident insurance and be well informed about how to provide first aid help in such an unfortunate event.
Five Steps to Take after an Accident
First thing first, check whether you have any serious injury. If yes, call the ambulance and wait for the medical help. Consider helping others, only if you are fit enough to do so. A road accident can also cause damage to your car. It is always a good idea to compare online car insurance quotes and get a policy well in advance. Here are the 5 steps to take after an accident.
- Identify seriously injured persons - Start by identifying severe injuries, such as, bleeding from head, nose, legs, and other organs. In general, victims that can talk or scream are in a better condition than those who cannot breathe or scream.
- Check for consciousness - Check the pulse to see whether the person is breathing. Keep talking to the person to keep him conscious until medical help arrives. You can ask questions, such as, whether he has an accident insurance policy. If the does not reply, maybe he is in an unconscious state.
- Remove any obstruction in the airway - Check whether something is blocking the airway in the person’s mouth or throat. If you find something, consider removing the blockage using your middle finger.
- Try EAR - If the pulse is not working, consider starting external air resuscitation (EAR). Depending on the condition of the person, you may need to try a mouth-to-mouth, a mouth-to-mask or a mouth-to-nose EAR. If you want to know more about the steps of each process, you can join a first aid course. Cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) is an effective first aid treatment for heart failure.
- Try to stop bleeding - Excessive bleeding from head or mouth could be a sign of danger. If you have a first aid box with you, consider dressing the wounds to stop the bleeding. You can use clean clothes as an alternative to a usual bandage. Make sure that the victim is in a comfortable position. Turn him to his side and keep his neck straight.
It is not a good idea to pour water in the victim’s mouth, especially when he is unconscious. It may cause to choking. Finally, do not forget get an accident insurance policy to protect yourself and your family members.
All Rights Reserved. Cholamandalam MS General Insurance Company Ltd. Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation.
Important Message: By submitting your contact information on our call back forms, you are agreeing to be contacted by our Customer Service Representative.