1800-200-5544 (Accessible from India only)
9144-3098 5300 (For Abroad Customers)
What You Should Not Do after a Car Accident
Nobody wants to be in a car accident. Not only does it ruin your entire day, it can also cause serious injuries and even death in some unfortunate cases. Auto accidents, however, are almost inevitable. You can hardly find a driver who never got involved in a car accident throughout his life. While you cannot stop accidents from happening, you can be prepared to deal with the financial losses resulting from an accident, by buying a car insurance policy. Moreover, there are certain things that you should avoid doing in order to ensure your safety after an accident.
Five Things You Should Avoid Doing after a Car Wreck
Here are the five things that you should not do after an auto accident.
- Running away from the scene - It is a very common scene in India. However, this is not how it should be. Irrespective of how severe the damages are, you should always stop the car and check on the other persons involved. If anyone is injured, you should try and provide medical assistance. This is not only humane but will also help you later on.
- Forgetting to call the police - Both major and minor accidents need to be reported to the police. Not only is it lawful, but it also helps you at the time of making a car insurance claim. And if the driver of another car tries to make a settlement with you and insists you on not informing the police, never fall for it. Chances are that his/her auto insurance policy is outdated or fake. The police report will work as a proof later on when filing an insurance claim.
- Getting aggressive - Never lose your temper after an accident. Even if it wasn't your mistake, the first thing you should ask the other driver is, "Did you get hurt?" Take deep breaths and keep calm, as it would help you to analyse the situation and take steps accordingly. Be polite but never take the blame on yourself. It would mean accepting the legal liability for the accident.
- Forgetting to document the wreck - After you have stayed at the scene and called the police, document the wreck. Take the other driver's name, address, insurance company name, and policy number. As it is mandatory for every car owner to have at least third party car insurance, having these information will help you later on in getting financial compensation.
- Neglecting the post accident formalities - It is very necessary to file your car insurance claim as soon as possible. Remember that many insurance companies have time limits for filing a claim.
These are some common mistakes to avoid after a car accident. Also, make sure that you keep all necessary documents including the insurance papers in your car.
All Rights Reserved. Cholamandalam MS General Insurance Company Ltd. Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation.
Important Message: By submitting your contact information on our call back forms, you are agreeing to be contacted by our Customer Service Representative.